Chronicling the ups and downs of my life as a twenty-something always second-guessing herself.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

I don't want to share.

Alyssa's blossoming toddler personality has brought tears of joy to my eyes. She's silly and fun, and always wants to make me experience her happiness with her. "C'mon, mommy," she'll say, beckoning me to her with her tiny hand, as she has seen me do when I ask her to come to me.
She is the loveliest person I have ever met.

That being said, I have to tell you, that my daughter will also not think twice about using her sweet voice to refuse compliance with some necessary task. She'll also use those very same tiny hands mentioned above, to push you away from her if she's not in the mood to receive affection. She'll push you out of her way if she needs to get by you;she'll run away and hide when you tell her that it is time for a diaper change. And she'll laugh at you and pull away when you're in a parking lot and insist that one must always hold hands in parking lots, in the name of safety.
Oh, and if she has something you want, she will usually hand it over only after smiling, holding it out, and then pulling it back in close to her before you can get to it.

And the most recent addition to her repertoir of impolite toddler behaviors, is declaring everything as belonging to her. Mainly, when it comes to her cousin, but I have also witnessed this being used on my friend's daughter, as I'm sure it will be on any child who might in the future show a liking for me. But being that we don't have too many friends with kids, this is mostly being directed at her cousin, Cameron. "My daddy," she'll tell him. "Nooo. My mommy." "Myyyyy toy." "My car! My car!" And today, as he crawled towards her to say hello, "Nooo. My Alyssa!" And she hugged herself as she ran away from him.

Oh, my sweet little girl. I will love you until the end of time, and even after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge

Followers